FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lonely sheets


New Year's Resolution?

Clean out house, clear out all unused items, ones that don't mean anything to me, are simply there to collect dust (especially given how often I enjoy indulging in that chore)- as well as the ones that mean too much to me, but in very unhealthy ways.

In a dresser upstairs, live sets (and I mean sets) of sheets, unmatched but very soft pillow cases, towels - essentially, extra's of things that I know would be better suited elsewhere - somewhere perhaps, they'd see the light of day. Oh, it's constantly on my list (rather nearest the bottom, right next to cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer - though thank the good Lord above I did that - I nearly burned my own house down it was so full) along with finishing organizing the storage room in the basement (yeah......right up there with dusting) - there's always More Important Chores to accomplish first.

Laundry and putting it away leaps to mind; I'm not feeling in the mood to leap currently. They're washed, fluffed even! folded, look especially lovely all divided up my human to whom they belong; they simply have no interest in hopping into their drawers, or worse, onto their hangers.

Ah, yes. My point. I knew I had one in here somewhere.

After a particularly long night, the other night, I realized that there's also a reason to hang onto things. Seriously, there is.

Phone rang, at 3am (ish) - I'm quite pleased I didn't answer with "are you missing a limb?" - as a friend was calling to ask to stay the night. With her hubby, son, two dogs, and one frog. The frog is still here, ps. I don't know what to feed a frog. Or if I have to change the water. Or if I (oh, please say no) have to allow crickets in my house. Her house caught on fire. (I immediately pictured my stupid overflowing lint trap) I didn't even hesitate before saying yes, of course, I'll leave the light on for you.

Who says that? Only the guy from Motel 66. Seriously.

I had beds made up with fresh linens, glasses for cold beverages at the ready, extra water put out for incoming puppies, (well, full grown dogs, really) skipped the bra thing - it was THREE AM. I do not need a bra at 3am. If it's that off-putting? Trust me, they'll go elsewhere. I highly doubt after their house and everything they own in it essentially goes down in flames, they're not going to notice the fact that my knees have nipples.

Gussie, the big dog - I hate to list his breed, for so many people are put off by the pit bull - the funny part is, he'd swear he's a Malta-poo. Or some other fluffy, lap dog breed. How would I know this? He climbed in my lap, regardless of where I sat. He didn't seem to mind the no bra thing. Jackie? He's been a bit intimidated by me (mostly as I'm soooo not intimidated by him - the whole Alpha thing) snugged up to my legs, leaving Pucker guarding her kennel as though either one of them could possibly fit in it.

She graciously allowed them to sniff it out; before prancing in her prissy fashion around the house, handing out the guided tour. Yep, we have Nervous Pee in the hallway, some more in the living room; a Nervous Dump in the downstairs Library. I give whomever it was credit: easy to flush, that one.

The house? Demolished. Nothing left. Shampoo. Conditioner. Ziploc baggies. Dog food. Dishes. Towels. Soap. Clothing. Shoes. Sheets, towels, pillow cases. Not sure why I'm hung up on the Ziploc baggies. But I am. No home is complete without snack size, lunch size, quart size baggies. I'm sure they'll get those.

Do you see my point yet?

That's right. While other mom's in town are securing take out gift certificates, or one to the grocery store, CVS, whatnot, I've enough linens for their entire house. That's why they were still in that drawer. Waiting. Shower curtain. I don't know if she'll need one of those in the trailer that's being delivered for them to live in while figuring out what to do with the house, or about it, or .....whatever.

I wasn't being lazy not popping them into a bin to go overseas somewhere; they had a Higher Purpose, those linens. Okay, so the pillow case that's so soft it's fabulous, in bright orange and green weird looking flowers? I'm gathering, they won't mind. It's so soft that yes, I've used it. I can vouch for it's softiness. Honestly, softiness trumps ugliness any day of the week.

So does Kindness.

Mag's called, we were chatting, and she says to me, quite possibly one of the greatest compliments ever - certainly one I'll always hold dear:

"You said yes, without a moment's hesitation, because that's who you are. It's not in your nature to turn people away, I suspect, even ones that weren't always the kindest to you: that's not who you are. "

I'm touched by her words; perhaps more than she'll know.

Plus also? (yes, K, I realize how much that phrase bugs you - but it's so.....me)

Those linens have a home. The right home.

There are moments, when you realize, that those things occupying space for no apparent reason, have a reason. You simply don't know what it is yet.

Now, if only I can find as fitting as reason to keep dust.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously are you trying to say that the people that are giving them gift certificates are doing something wrong? They lost EVERYTHING and if they need to go to a store to get something that they choose what is wrong with that??? People are helping because they want to not to get public acknowledgement like you are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I read your entry TOTALLY differently than the above person! I thought what you did was VERY generous and KIND!!! You were just stating that there is a reason we packrats don't get rid of all of the stuff that clutters our houses...the "stuff" comes in handy when tragedies happen. I think your friend is VERY lucky to have been able to call YOU at 3:00am in the morning and bring her entire brood over without a second thought! WOW! I am still amazed that someone could have read into your post that way...I guess if people are feeling guilty or have a guilty conscience about *whatever*, then maybe. I think you and a whole host of others have done a beautiful thing by donating whatever you could to that family. If gift cards are what people could do, then great! If odds and ends like sheets and clothes were what folks could do to help, then that is great too!!! Not sure what this person above is trying to say...clearly they have misunderstood your post. Public acknowledgement...what public acknowledgment are they talking about? Your blog is anonymous, correct Rosebud?

    ReplyDelete