FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Sunday, August 8, 2010

35


Woke up this morning 35.

Looked around to see what changed:

Fox counted I have six white hairs on the tip top of my head. (thank you for pointing that out)

House looks (sadly) the same as I left it the night before. (fuck)

Interior of car still smells of football cleats and gear, even though they've not been in there for two whole days now.

ALL my teeth are buzzing, not just the back ones.

In short?

The only thing that's changed is that now I feel old(er).

On the bright side? In the past year (what I recall of it anyway) I've ended yet another career, started about four others. Trained the ever-living-daylights out of my dog, learned to take the high road, even when my feelings are so hurt I can hardly stand; no matter how much I'd love to wear some of those sexy low cut bras, my gals just aren't having it, and I still cannot shave my legs without bloodshed. My true friends are still here, I'm teaching them sign language - best of all? A friend is showing me how to swear in sign. How cool is that?

Naturally, with that goes the fact that I'd finally decided I wanted another baby, a bigger house, bigger dogs - only to realize that perhaps it's not that someone else doesn't want one in general, maybe they don't want one with me. I still don't totally understand my son, (from what I've heard, that is an entirely unobtainable goal) my Blackberry, or why it is exactly that I cannot get my X's head off my left thumb. (My current theory: I'm cursed) The big important questions still loom; I'm hardly whipping out my 50 Years At A Glance Calendar.

Don't ask me what I expected to feel upon realizing I'd made it another entire year; I'm not sure. Wiser, perhaps. (Might as well take my advice, clearly, I'm not using it) More mature. (hardly) Yes, I can honestly say I've gotten better at standing up for myself - though somehow, I highly doubt telling off a baby doctor intern at MGH truly counts. If you're going to go that route however, be sure to ask them point blank, in the I'm Simply Enquiring Tone " Is your Malpractice Insurance paid up? Just wondering" - the facial expression alone is worth it. So it's a hollow victory: I was the one she misdiagnosed. Left rotting in pain while she said I was fine. No one said I had to be gracious. Let's face it, being a snotty, sarcastic ass is one of my finer talents.

There was cake.

There were presents.

My son was the first one to wish me Happy Birthday - I doubt I'll ever get tired of hearing his little voice being the very first one to wish me that.

Yeah..............I could'a skipped that whole conversation on the white hair too; but at least he's honest.

Feels odd being 35.

Good thing I've an entire year to get used to it.










1 comment: