FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

True Value


I had to replace a little something at the house; an important something, really, but after that experience in the store I won't name (this time for real, why give them any press?) I went back to where I always find what I need, including all the help to truly Do It Myself:

True Value.

In Millbury.

I started there, during the entire I Am Going To Put Up Chair Rail Before His Party Project; sadly, they don't carry chair rail. They do carry a wide array of other things - the carpet cleaner, with hose? That I thought for sure wouldn't suck (har -har) was as fabulous as promised. The carpet, the couch - looked beautiful. The owner, JR, didn't even make me feel like an idiot for not having any clue how to use the damn thing. Or that I'd waited til J was out of town, so I had to do the carpets right now, today - not, you know, when some big hulking guy could lug around 5 gallons of water and non-sudsing soap.

Um, 5 gallons is heavy.

Now, I'm happy to admit I'm out of shape; carrying the dog last night (she didn't listen when I called her, so I resorted to embarrassing her by carrying her to the car - I doubt it was as effective as if I'd done it to my son, but I really can't lift him) - all, say 25 pounds of her.

(okay. maybe 30. who's counting? we're on a diet, sheesh)

The 5 gallon pail with wee handle?

Good. Christ. In. Heaven.

I'd be in shape in no time if I hauled those babies around any more than I did - including the stairs. I considered, I'll be honest, going around the house to the outside, thus skipping stairs altogether - but how to explain that I didn't want to do the stairs, I'd rather try not to spill or fall with a giant bucket of stuff past my neighbors windows?

Anyhoo....back to yesterday, which turned into today.

Fox and I went into True Value, in Millbury - I explained, to JR, what I needed. I did not want to replace pieces that didn't need to change; simply the one piece that did. Not only did he pick one out, but he opened it up (generally, a big no-no), looked at it, showed me where all the parts went, put it back in the box, assuring me if it didn't work, bring it back; he'll help find another one - all while looking appropriately excited that Foxy's tooth fell out.

What a novelty: losing a tooth in a hardware store.

It's living in a glassine bag, with True Value printed on it - it went into school for Show and Share. I'll bet that was a new one.

Today?

I started project.

Slit my had using a phillips head screwdriver. (ps, you can indeed press too hard - the fucking thing sinks into your hand like no one's business!) Swore. Several times.

JR said it should take maybe 20 minutes.

For him, maybe.

Me?

45 minutes.

Including a break to wrap up owie. Put pizza in oven for Fox. Let dog lick my ankle. Some swearing.

Messed around with the different size screws that were included - see? Here? At TRUE VALUE - a store that backs up it's name, for example - their items include additional hardware, should you have custom fit whatnot.

Nothing in this condo is standard.

Extra screws? A major plus.

In the end?

I. Did. It. All. By. Myself.

I didn't need J to do it; I didn't have to ask my neighbors to come help me (breaking into my car after locking myself out of house nonwithstanding) - so now I can totally brag:

I can do it: I simply need to go to True Value.

True Value? Measured in how many times I'll go back, and not feel ridiculous asking for help. On something. Or...really....anything.

Biggest bang for not only my buck, but my sense of pride in not being a wilting wall flower?

True Value indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment